Career Planning is essential if you are looking to keep your career on track and fully achieve your potential. You need to take time to map out where you are now, where you want to be and how you are going to get there.
ANALYSE YOUR CURRENT SITUATION
Before you can do any planning, clearly and realistically identify your starting point.
- What are your likes and dislikes, both at work and in your personal life? What activities do you like doing? What activities do you avoid at all costs?
- What are your personal attributes?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- What are your key skills?
- Where does your experience lie?
- What values are important to you?
- What motivates you?
- What do you look for in a job?
- What is your definition of success?
DESCRIBE YOUR DESIRED SITUATION
Once you are fully aware of your current situation, you can now begin planning for the future.
- Where would you like to work?
- What industry sector would you like to work in?
- What type of position would you like to have?
- How do you want to be perceived?
- How much money do you want to make?
HOW YOU ARE GOING TO GET THERE
Now that you are aware of your current situation and desired situation, you can begin to plan how you are going to get from where you are now to where you want to be. Make sure you set yourself achievable goals within realistic timescales.
- What do I need to achieve in next 1 / 2 / 5 years?
- What training and qualifications do I need to obtain and when?
- How will I gain the additional skills and experience which I need?
- How and when can I expand my network?
If you require any further guidance on career planning, please do not hesitate to contact us.